May 28, 2008

Up on a soapbox

In my life as a mom it has never ceased to amaze me how rude our society is becoming. Okay, this is going to turn into a soapbox but really can’t people just say sorry and admit when they have made a mistake? This week Lyra and I stopped at McDonald’s for lunch when we had finished our errands and she ordered her favorite meal, a McNuggets happy meal. When we got to the table we found that they had given us a hamburger happy meal with a “BOY’S” toy in it (understand that to a four-year-old this is the ultimate in catastrophes). So I went back to the counter and asked that it be corrected, no big deal right? Anyway, the kid at the counter (yes I am calling him a kid because he looked about 12 with multiple piercing-how do you blow your nose with those things in?) first argued with me that the order was right. Okay what little boy do you see with me? Then when I showed him my receipt his immediate answer was “My Bad”. I truly hate that term! It implies that okay so what I screwed up but I don’t have to say sorry for it. Why couldn’t he just say oh I’m sorry this was a mistake and we’ll fix it right away? Anyway, we got everything fixed and went home. That afternoon I heard Lyra start saying “my bad”. That’s when I realized we had heard this term several times throughout our shopping trip. Where has simple professionalism and politeness gone to? I have now band this term from my house for the duration because I don’t want my children using it in polite society, which they inform me is not somewhere they will ever be. Too bad for them the band stands.

No comments: