February 11, 2008

Children say the darndest things…then they turn into little devils…


In my life as a mom (and as a teacher), I’ve learned that sometimes kids say the most amazing things. (And if you don’t think you child’s teacher doesn’t know every single thing that is happening at home, I’ve got news for you.) With the passing of President Hinckley, our family was both saddened by the world’s loss of a great man and extremely grateful for our beliefs in the truthfulness of eternal families and a Heavenly Father that loves us. As I surfed the Internet looking at the many different pictures, testimonials, and comments about President Hinckley, my Lyra bug (age 4) came up and was leaning on my arm. Pretty soon I came to a picture of President Hinckley and Lyra pipes up with “I’m going to miss him; he had a nice smile, and loved all the children.” I stared at her in amazement, in 14 words she had summed up all my feelings. President Hinckley did have a nice smile, I am going to miss him, and he loved everyone. We lost a great man but I am sure he missed his wife. We also had to laugh a little bit when watching the press conference announcing President Monson as the next Prophet, because they asked him how he felt about following President Hinckley. His answer was that it was going to be easy because President Hinckley blazed the trail. I think I would have had another answer completely because I figure if I can do half of what President Hinckley was doing at his age then I will have had a good life.

Then just when you are totally amazed at the amazing, touching, insightful things your illusions are shattered in less than 30 minutes. On Wednesday, I put Lyra down for a rest, fed Dawniella and put her down for a nap, did a couple of chores, and came back to check on Lyra. Amazingly, it looked like she was asleep, so I though wow I can get in a 30-minute nap and laid down, with my timer set, falling asleep almost instantly. When my timer went off I woke to hear the television on, not Lyra’s little TV that she can put her own movies in, but the big television with the surround sound. Uh oh! When I walk into to the room I glance at the TV to see what she is watching, then do a double take when I see it covered with stickers. I start peeling off the stickers as I start lecturing her about waking mommy up and having her turn on the TV. Suddenly I realize that the stickers I am pulling off the TV have 41 cents on them. Next, I see that the craft table is covered in Lyra’s dishes and at least half of the pepper from my peppershaker. Walking into the kitchen to get a wet rag, I slip in all the water on the floor from the bucket of water, sponge, and her vacuum, which she had been cleaning. Then I find the saltshaker emptied into her dishes on the counter with some water added in. By this time, I’m thinking I can either beat this child black and blue or sit down and laugh (hysterically?). The final straw came when a couple of minutes later, as I am cleaning up, Andrew comes home from school and says mom why do you have a candle and the matches sitting on the craft chair. The little imp had done all this in 30 minutes, including climbing up on to the stove to get into the cupboard above it for the matches. Needless to say, we had a long talk about what she is allowed to do, and mommy has decided that there will be no naps for her unless Lyra is shackled with handcuffs and locked into an inescapable cell (or Daddy is home).

Nicole, Meagan, and Kjerstin were here this weekend and Nicole couldn't resist.


Meagan and Dawniella


What a cute smile!

1 comment:

Thatonegirl said...

Alright, this is going to sound quite odd. My name is also Dawniella, and I think this is the first time I've ever heard my name spelled the way it is! My parents said they didn't want people calling me Dani, so they put a w in it. I was just wondering why you spelled it the way you did. It's a cool name! lol =)