July 27, 2008

Bucket List

In my life as a mom it isn’t very often that I have gotten to watch a movie that was picked out by me and that I insisted on watching but yesterday I did. For those of you that haven’t seen the movie The Bucket List I would suggest that you find a copy and watch it. This is the sweet story of two men who find out they only have a little time left in this life. Their Bucket List is the list of things they want to do before they “kick the bucket”. Throughout the movie the insights they share are so worth the time of this movie and at the end you begin thinking about what you want to do before you “kick the bucket”. One of the things that struck me the most was when they were sitting on top of the pyramids talking about the Egyptian’s beliefs about death. The idea that you would be asked two questions at the entrance to Heaven and based on your answers you would either be allowed to enter or not. One of the questions was if others found joy from your life. The one character talks about his daughter and how when he found out she was being abused he dealt with the situation. She told her father that she hated him and that he was dead to her. I was impressed by his answer to the question though, if I can’t get into Heaven because she hates me for doing the right thing then that’s okay. In talking to my mom and dad about their trip to Nauvoo and round about I got to thinking about the pioneers and their trek west. They didn’t have to go, they could have denounced their faith and gone home, but they didn’t. Many of them gave up everything, homes, family, friends, wealth, to do the right thing. How often do we put everything else before doing the right thing, its something to think about when we’re trying to make big decisions. I used to have a saying by one of the prophets (I can’t remember which one and seem to have lost the saying), that said “It’s not who is right, but what is right that is important.”
While I’m won’t be really starting to complete anything on my Bucket List for a while, I’ve decided to start mine. Who knows maybe by the time I decide to “kick the bucket” I’ll have least done a few things.

No comments: